Friday, December 3, 2010

QCC 3

"Now if you imagine a line connecting the three main principals of this excersize-that is you, I, and the moon-it forms a triangle. Measure the baseline between you and me and the angles of our two corners and the rest can be simply calculated."
 
When students are taught Geometry in High School, the rules and measurements of triangles seem unimportant and useless. I often wondered why it was so necessary for us to be able to prove a triangle, or use a formula to calculate the angles or measurements. I mean they're only triangles, it's a simple shape that you learn in elementary school, what could learning how to measure it possibly help someone in real life? This quote stood out to me because it shows that something so simple as knowing how to find a side of a triangle can help you determine something so big as the distance to the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment